NPL Round 7 Review: Sharks sent swimming home after 2-1 defeat to Hume City

A sizeable crowd had assembled at ABD Stadium despite terrible weather conditions, as Hume City hosted an in-form Port Melbourne Sharks side.

The home side were the more creative of the two in the opening 20 minutes of the game, after testing Alex Withers on numerous occasions but failed to break the deadlock.

However, Hume’s persistence was finally rewarded at the 29th minute when Josh Bingham slotted home the opening goal of the night. James Brown’s run down the right-flank and ball into the box allowed Andy Brennan to put the ball on a plate for the Hume forward at the back-post.

As the first half dragged on, Hume looked to extend their lead as they searched for another goal, after failing to capitalize on good opportunities. 

Mitch Cooper was unfortunate not to double Hume’s lead at the 42nd minute, after Matthew Lazarides found Cooper’s onside run but the shot was fired wide.

The Sharks almost snatched an equalizer just before half time, but an alert Michael Weier brought out a reflex save to deny the away side.

As the teams entered the half time break. The home side would be relatively frustrated not to have a larger lead despite being up 1-0.

Three minutes into the second half and Hume were unlucky not to be up by two. Andy Brennan brought the ball down effortlessly before rattling the crossbar with his shot.

James Brown almost pulled off a wonder goal at the 59th minute after an audacious attempt from halfway when seeing Andrew Withers off his line. Brown then followed up minutes later with a 1v1, but the Sharks managed to deny the forward after getting a foot to the shot.

Michael Weier was extremely alert when being called into action with two match defining saves within the span of 10 minutes. The first to deny Chris Duggan’s shot from distance (61st minute), followed by the second in a 1v1 against Omar Ammache (70th minute).

Nick Hegarty made a series of tactical substitutions as the second half progressed. Theo Markelis entered the game for Mitch Cooper (73rd minute), Marko Delic entered the game for Andy Brennan (79th minute) and Danny Dixon entered the game for an injured Matthew (89th minute).

The Sharks continued to press in the second half in search of an equalizer and were extremely unlucky at the 90th minute not to score from a corner, after none other than Michael Weier denying them after getting a hand to a goal bound header.

Hume were then able to turn defence into offence which saw an onside and alert Marko Delic run around Andrew Withers, before slotting the final nail in the coffin at 90+1 minutes.

As Hume looked to have sealed the game at 2-0 in added time. Port earned themselves a consolation prize in the dying embers of the game when Liston Diaz fired a thunderous volley past Michael Weier to finalize the score at 2-1.

Hume City’s U21’s and 19’s were both victorious against Port Melbourne Shark SC on the weekend as well. The U21’s claimed a 3-2 victory, with goals coming from Eyob Zewdie (7”), Koray Cekic (27”) and Kaan Elibol (66”). The U19’s claimed a 1-0 victory with the only goal of the game coming from Taylan Eraslan (2”).

Hume City now have their sights set on Saturday the 17th of April, as they travel to George Andrews Reserve to face Dandenong Thunder FC. Our Seniors kick-off at 7pm, our U21’s at 5pm and our U19’s at 2:45pm. 

Share Now

Related Post