NPL Round 6 Review: Hume City leave empty handed after 2-0 defeat against Eastern Lions

There was plenty of end-to-end action from the opening whistle, with both sides showing plenty of attacking intent from the get-go.

Josh Bingham was central to Hume’s greatest chances in the opening half. The first was a header fired over the bar followed by a volley off target and then his most notable chance, his shot from the right-flank which forced Keegan Coulter into a reflex save.

As Hume flooded forward towards the end of the first half, it was the Lions who began a counterattack, but the chance went begging as Hume’s defence stood tall.

Surprisingly, the half time break saw a scoreless opening 45 minutes. Hume held most chances, while the Lions managed to create some dangerous ones of their own.

As the second half progressed, Marko Delic was at the forefront of two brilliant chances for his side within a space of 5 minutes. The first at the 53rd minute, after picking his defender’s pocket at the halfway line before his shot deflected for a Hume corner. The second at the 56th minute which saw his shot from close range force Keegan Coulter into a fingertip save.

Nick Hegarty injected both Theo Markelis and Mitch Cooper into the game for Mark Ochieng and Matthew Lazarides, as part of a tactical substitution.

At the 74th minute, it was the Lions who took the lead via Chris Droutsas. A dangerous ball into Hume’s box allowed Lions to cut the ball across the face of goal and Droutsas was in the right place at the right time.

Lions were two to the good a few minutes later, after Chris Droutsas was brought down inside Hume’s box, earning his side a penalty. Ioannis Georgopoulos’ penalty crept past Michael Weier’s fingers after the shot-stopper guessed the right way, but the power behind the shot had him beaten.

Despite being down by two goals, Hume still had plenty of fight but were not able to convert their second half chances into goals.

Nick Hegarty’s final substitution at the 90th minute saw Birhan Elibol replace Ben Bowler.

Unfortunately, it was not Hume’s night when the referee blew the final whistle at 90+3 minutes. Plenty of positives to take away from the game and full credit to Eastern Lions on a hard-fought win.

Hume City’s U21’s were victorious on the weekend with a 4-3 win whilst our U19’s were unlucky to claim the victory after a 3-2 loss, both against the Eastern Lions. Goal scorers for our U21’s were Kaan Elibol (3’), Eyob Zewdie (16’ & 31’) and Birhan Elibol (88’). Goal scorers for our U19’s were Ben Harris (87’) and Ameir Tamiru (91’).

Hume City now have their sights set on welcoming the Port Melbourne Sharks to ABD Stadium. Our Seniors and U21’s kick-off on Saturday the 10th of April at 7pm and 4:30pm respectively, whilst our U19’s play on Friday the 9th at 7:30pm.

Share Now

Related Post