NPL Elimination Final Review: Heroic Hume City performance not enough to send them through to NPL semi-finals

Hume City travelled to Jack Edwards Reserve for their fourth meeting with an impressive Oakleigh Cannons this season, with Hume having drawn and beaten the Cannons in the league, followed by knocking the Cannons out of the FFA Cup. Considering it was Cannons’ home ground, it was Hume City’s busload of travelling fans making all the noise as the red and white army were in full force.

Hume City had the Cannons rattled from the opening whistle after Matthew Lazarides’ interception in the 2nd minute saw him dribble through the entire field, before firing a low shot into the path of John Honos. At the 6th minute a Cannons build up saw Harry White fire a wide shot from outside the box. At the 7th minute a Hume interception off a Cannons throw-in saw the away side counterattack through Mitch Cooper which eventually saw him curl a dangerous shot from distance into John Honos. At the 14th minute James Brown’s tackle on Joe Guest saw the ball fall to Luke Pavlou, who blasted a shot from distance over the bar. At the 20th minute a Hume freekick swung in by Stevie Hewitt saw James Brown’s goal bound header force John Honos into a reflex save to prevent danger. Honos was called into action again at the 25th minute after Ben Bowler’s deflected shot from distance saw Honos pull off a miracle save which only saw Hume earn a corner. The resulting corner swung in by Stevie Hewitt failed to find a target but Danny Dixon kept the ball in play before Hume switched the ball to Matthew Lazarides, who dribbled through the Cannons defence before firing a low cross into the box which Hume failed to get a body behind. At the 29th minute a dangerous Cannons freekick into Hume’s box saw a scramble in the box before James Brown cleared the ball to safety, but Cannons’ follow-up cross into the box saw Harry White head the ball wide. At the 33rd minute Stevie Hewitt picked out James Brown’s run before John Honos raced off his line to beat Brown to the ball. At the 44th minute despite Hume’s numerous goalscoring attempts, they were dealt a sucker punch after a Cannons counterattack saw Wade Dekker fire past Michael Weier to give the home side the lead (1-0) before the break.

The halftime whistle left a bitter taste in Hume City’s mouth after numerous goalscoring chances saw them trailing 1-0 at the break, due to a last-minute Cannons counterattack before the interval. Nick Hegarty and his side knew the game was far from over and needed to ensure they took their chances in the second half if they were to be victorious in the match.

Hume started the second half strong and Danny Dixon’s cross to the back-post saw Mitch Cooper rise before heading the ball into John Honos at the 46th minute. However, Hume were dealt another blow at the 47th minute after failing to clear a dangerous Cannons freekick which saw Matthew Foschini double Cannons’ lead after firing the ball home from inside the box (2-0). At the 56th minute Hume’s substitute goalkeeper James Kapuranovski was called into action after shot stopper Michael Weier was forced to leave the ground, due to a shoulder injury sustained in Cannons’ second goal. At the 57th minute Cannons took an early freekick which saw Joe Guest blast a shot over the bar which wasn’t far from troubling James Kapuranovski. At the 57th minute Hume continued to show heart and some good build up play saw Mitch Cooper fire a shot over the bar. Minutes later at the 60th minute, George Howard had enough time to wind up and fire a dangerous shot from distance that was inches away from going in. At the 61st minute a Hume turnover outside their box saw Matthew Foschini’s shot hit the woodwork, before Hayden Tennant’s series of slide tackles saw him clear the ball to safety. At the 69th minute Ben Bowler’s ball to the back post saw the Cannons get a body behind Marko Delic’s goal bound header, before firing the second attempt into an offside Danny Dixon. At the 71st minute Ben Bowler picked out James Brown on the edge of the box before Brown’s strike hit the apex and went out for a Cannons goal kick. At the 74th minute Danny Dixon’s dangerous cross aimed at George Howard was inches away from the away side pinching back a goal. At the 80th minute Ryan Paczkowski’s dangerous ball into the box saw James Kapuranovski fist the ball to safety. As the game entered added time and despite the score line, Hume continued to press the Cannons defence as substitute Mark Ochieng picked out Stevie Hewitt’s run into the box, but Cannons cleared the danger for a Hume corner. The resulting corner by Hewitt saw James Brown fire a goal bound header into John Honos.

Referee Adam Bavcar signaled full time at 90+8 minutes which has seen Hume City’s incredible season come to an end, as Oakleigh Cannons will now progress to the semi-final to face Avondale. However, Hume City remain in the final 8 of the FFA Cup and look forward to hosting Central Coast Mariners at ABD Stadium on Tuesday the 17th of September, with kickoff starting at 7:30pm.

Share Now

Related Post