FFA Cup Round of 16 Review: Hat-trick hero Marko Delic sends Hume City into final 8 of the FFA Cup

A travelling Hume City were looking to end Adelaide Olympic’s dream FFA Cup run as they made the journey down to The Parks Football Centre. Nick Hegarty’s high tempo and forward passing philosophy has seen his side continue to impress this season across all competitions. The home side were also in good form after qualifying for the NPL South Australian finals and the 1,300+ people in attendance knew they were in for a great night.

The first chance of the game fell to the away side after George Howard was fouled on the halfway line at the 13th minute. The resulting freekick taken early by Steven Hewitt saw Hume fail to capitalize on a brilliant chance after Ben Bowler delivered a dangerous ball to the back post. At the 21st minute an interception by Ricardo Da Silva saw him dribble towards goal but fired the shot wide. At the 23rd minute Mamadi Kamara gave Olympic the lead (1-0) after starting his dribble at halfway before going through Hume’s defence and fired the ball past a helpless Michael Weier. At the 30th minute Hume nearly found themselves on level pegging after Steven Hewitt’s pass found James Brown who fired from distance, but the shot skimmed off the top of the crossbar. At the 31st minute Hume turned defence into attack after Matthew Lazarides’ interception found Mitch Cooper who put Marko Delic through on goal, but Olympic cleared the danger for a Hume corner. The resulting corner at the 32nd minute saw Olympic fail to clear the danger and a lurking Marko Delic fired home Hume’s first of the night to level the score (1-1). Hume nearly took the lead at the 36th minute after Delic’s ball over the top of Olympic’s defence saw an onside Mitch Cooper volley into Daniel Vaughan. At the 38th minute Steven Hewitt’s dangerous freekick into the box found an onside Ben Bowler who fired into Daniel Vaughan from point blank range.

The halftime break saw the score line level at 1-1 after a promising opening half by both sides. Nick Hegarty and his men were certainly up for the fight despite their journey down from Melbourne earlier in the day and weren’t planning to leave The Parks Football Centre empty handed. 

At the 51st minute some combination play by Marko Delic and James Brown saw Delic lay the ball off to an onrushing Ben Bowler whose shot forced Daniel Vaughan into a reflex save. At the 60th minute George Howard’s ball found an onside Danny Dixon whose perfect ball into the box found Marko Delic, who slotted home his second of the night to give Hume the lead (2-1). At the 64th minute Mamadi Kamara had enough time to turn and fire a shot from outside the box, but it failed to trouble a commanding Michael Weier. At the 68th minute a freekick won and taken by Ricardo Da Silva failed to trouble Michael Weier after being off target. At the 71st minute Steven Hewitt’s ball across the field found Matthew Lazarides who dribbled through four Olympic players before his shot forced Daniel Vaughan into a reflex save. However, Vaughan parried the ball into Marko Delic who has his shooting boots on and Delic completed his hat-trick after the linesman flagged that the ball had crossed the line (3-1). At the 78th minute Delic’s backheel put James Brown through on goal and Brown’s trickery allowed him to wriggle past his defender which saw Marko Delic volley a dangerous shot that took a deflection for a Hume corner. The resulting corner by Steven Hewitt almost saw Ben Bowler fire home Hume’s fourth of the night but the ball skimmed off the top of his head. At the 87th minute Mamadi Kamara managed to dribble his way into Hume’s box before finding a teammate but Paul “Blocker” Wilson put his body on the line to deny the shot.

The referee signaled full time at 90+4 minutes which saw Hume City progress to the final 8 of the FFA Cup as their travelling support erupted with joy. Hume City now look forward to their NPL Eliminaiton Final against Oakleigh Cannons FC on Saturday the 31st of August, at Jack Edwards Reserve. Kick off will begin at 7:30pm.

Share Now

Related Post