Dockerty Cup Final Review: Hume City make club history with first ever cup triumph

High-flying Hume City are enjoying their best season in club history, after progressing to the Round of 16 in the FFA Cup, qualifying for the NPL playoff finals and making the Dockerty Cup final. The chance to obtain their first piece of silverware in club history is on offer but face some stiff competition in a competitive Melbourne Knights side.

The first chance of the game fell to Hamish Watson at the 7th minute after he fired a shot from outside the box into Michael Weier. At the 10th minute Stevie Hewitt’s brilliant vision saw his ball over the top find an open Theo Markelis, but the mistimed shot was fired into Harry Cakarun. At the 15th minute Michael Weier’s early ball out of defence to Matthew Lazarides saw Lazarides’ through ball slice through Knights’ defence before finding Mitch Cooper, who fired the shot in his 1v1 into Harry Cakarun. At the 26th minute after some brilliant passes between Hume’s players, James Brown stepped up and gave his side the lead (1-0) after curling his shot from outside the box into the top corner which saw Hume’s supporters erupt with excitement. Hume nearly doubled their lead at 30 minutes after an interception saw Mitch Cooper attempt to chip Harry Cakarun before the ball deflected off the crossbar, leaving the crowd stunned. Cooper continued to be a menace for Hume and at the 33rd minute, Cooper’s offensive pressure saw him set up an onrushing James Brown before Brown blasted the shot over the bar. At the 34th minute Knights managed to create a chance off Mohamed Awad’s cross into the box, which saw Atilla Ofli fire his shot off target.

The halftime break couldn’t have come quick enough for Melbourne Knights after Hume City’s goalscoring chances could have seen them leading by many goals at the interval. The job was far from over for Nick Hegarty and his side after Knights have shown numerous resilient second half performances throughout 2019.

The first chance of the second half fell to Danny Dixon at the 54th minute, as Dixon had enough time to cut in and fire a shot over the bar. Dixon continued to look lively for Hume after his dangerous low cross was fired into Cakarun at the 59th minute. At the 67th minute it was none other than Danny Dixon who cleared a Knights freekick then started a counterattack for Hume before finding Marko Delic out wide. Delic managed to dribble past his defender before firing a brilliant goal bound shot forcing Harry Cakarun into a reflex save. At the 74th minute Knights had their best chance to equalize, after Mohamed Awad’s freekick into the box was inches away from finding a Knights head. At the 75th minute George Howard pounced on a bad Knights pass, before dribbling towards goal and firing a shot at Harry Cakarun. At the 77th minute an onside Hamish Watson managed to dribble past his defender before firing a dangerous shot off target. At the 81st minute a dangerous freekick taken by Knights found Hamish Watson, but the header went over the bar. At the 89th minute George Howard dribbled past his defender and was brought down on the edge of the box. The resulting freekick taken by Danny Dixon was fired into Harry Cakarun.

The referee signaled the final whistle at 90+7 minutes which saw Hume City lift their first trophy in club history to become the 2019 Dockerty Cup Champions. The fans, players and coaching staff sang the club theme song in the middle of Kingston Heath Soccer Complex before celebrating the victory. Hume City now face Melbourne Knights on Sunday the 18th of August at Knights Stadium in Round 25 of the 2019 NPL campaign. Kickoff will go ahead at 3pm.

Share Now

Related Post