NPL Round 24 Review: Hume City suffer 3-1 defeat to Green Gully despite numerous goalscoring opportunities

Round 24 saw Hume City FC welcome Green Gully SC to ABD Stadium. The home side were looking to carry their momentum after their FFA Cup Round of 32 win against Tigers FC, while Green Gully were looking to bounce back from their 1-1 draw against Melbourne Knights in Round 23.

It was the home side who created the first chance on goal at the 9th minute, after Stevie Hewitt fired a shot at Jerrad Tyson from distance. At the 16th minute Gully managed to string together some passes before Matthew Fletcher drilled a shot at Michael Weier, who parried the ball over the bar. At the 23rd minute James Brown’s ball over Gully’s defence found an onside Marko Delic who dribbled past Jerrad Tyson, but Tyson managed to get his body behind the shot. At the 30th minute James Brown’s shot took a deflection before Mitch Cooper’s follow-up effort forced Jerrad Tyson into a fingertip save. The resulting corner saw Gully clear the danger, but Mark Ochieng managed to fire a shot from distance that failed to trouble Jerrad Tyson. At the 31st minute Nicholas Kalmar’s ball found Teeboy Kamara whose low shot was stopped by an alert Michael Weier. Hume’s offensive pressure continued to trouble Gully and at the 34th minute, Stevie Hewitt’s ball to Marko Delic saw Delic fire a shot over the bar. At the 43rd minute Stevie Hewitt’s early freekick found Danny Dixon out wide, but Dixon blasted the shot over the bar. At the 44th minute a Hume interception at halfway saw Mitch Cooper put James Brown through on goal, but Jerrad Tyson came to Gully’s rescue yet again after getting down in time to deny the home side. As the first half entered added time, Jeremy Walker’s ball into the box found an onrushing Matthew Fletcher who broke the deadlock to give Gully the lead right before the break (1-0).

The halftime break saw Nick Hegarty’s side enter the break rather frustrated after failing to convert numerous chances and then concede right before the break. However, Hume’s resilience throughout the season has been one of the many positive talking points throughout their 2019 NPL campaign.

Hume should have equalized at the 50th minute after Stevie Hewitt’s ball found Marko Delic, but Jerrad Tyson came to Gully’s rescue yet again with a brilliant fingertip save. At the 54th minute a Gully counterattack saw Teeboy Kamara switch the ball to an open Matthew Fletcher, who calmly slotted home Gully’s second of the night (2-0). At the 58th minute Jerrad Tyson was in the spotlight yet again, after James Brown’s cut-back found Mitch Cooper whose shot forced Tyson into a reflex save to deny the home side yet again. The resulting corner saw Paul Wilson fire a headed effort directly into Tyson. At the 71st minute Hume were denied a clear goalscoring opportunity yet again, after Ben Bowler’s header off a corner was cleared off the line. At the 73rd minute the home side continued to create chance after chance and after James Brown’s cross was cleared by Gully, Matthew Lazarides fired a shot from distance over the bar. At the 77th minute Matthew Lazarides’ ball over the top found an onside Mitch Cooper who attempted to lob Jerrad Tyson, but the ball hit the roof of the net. At the 85th minute Marko Delic’s ball found an open Matthew Lazarides who blasted a shot that forced Jerrad Tyson to concede a corner. At the 89th minute Nicholas Kalmar sealed the game off for Gully after curling a shot into the top corner to give Gully their third of the night (3-0). At the 90th minute Jonathan Bounas’ ball found Adisu Bayew, but Michael Weier got down quick enough to deny Gully their fourth of the night. As the game entered added time, Stevie Hewitt’s corner found Danny Dixon who headed home Hume’s first goal of the night (3-1) as a consolation prize. At 90+3 minutes Teeboy Kamara’s ball into the box found Adisu Bayew whose shot went over the bar.

The referee signaled full time at 90+4 minutes which saw Hume City’s fans cheer the team for their efforts, despite the result not going their way. Moving forward from this, Hume City now look forward to the Dockerty Cup Final on Saturday the 10th of August. This is Hume City’s first final appearance in the club’s history, as they take on Melbourne Knights at Kingston Heath Soccer Complex (289 Centre Dandenong Rd, Cheltenham VIC 3192, Australia) for the Dockerty Cup. Kick off will go ahead at 5pm.

Share Now

Related Post