NPL Round 21 Review: Hume City suffer 3-0 defeat to league leaders Avondale FC

Round 21 saw Hume City travel to Avenger Park to face league leaders Avondale FC. Hume City look to continue their good run of form after their Round 20 victory against Port Melbourne and their Dockerty Cup semifinal win against Moreland Zebras. However, Avondale will also be looking to bounce back after consecutive league defeats to Green Gully (Round 19) and Melbourne Knights (Round 20).

It was Hume who almost took an early lead in the opening minute of the game, after Thomas Harris’ cross saw Stevie Hewitt fire a low shot at Chris Oldfield. At the 3rd minute Tasuku Sekiya managed to dribble his way through Hume’s defence, but fired his shot wide. At the 9th minute Marko Delic managed to dribble past his defender and fire a teasing cross into the box, but Hume failed to get a body behind the ball. At the 9th minute Stefan Zinni’s ball into the box almost saw Avondale take the lead, but Michael Weier’s goal line save kept his side in the game. At the 18th minute a Hume turnover saw Stefan Zinni fire a shot on goal only to be saved by Michael Weier, but it was Tasuku Sekiya who pounced on the rebound to give put the home side in front (1-0). At the 28th minute Danny Dixon’s dangerous cross into the box saw George Howard fire a headed effort on goal, but it failed to trouble Chris Oldfield. At the 40th minute an Avondale throw-in saw Stefan Zinni fire a low shot from outside the box, but it failed to trouble Michael Weier. Hume nearly levelled the score at the 44th minute after pouncing on an Avondale defensive error, but George Howard’s goal bound strike was cleared off the line.

The halftime break came as a breath of fresh air to Nick Hegarty and his side as they managed to limit Avondale to a 1-0 lead. However, if any club has shown that they can salvage something despite being down at the break it’s Hume City.

At the 56th minute a freekick won and taken by Stevie Hewitt nearly caught Chris Oldfield off guard, but the away side failed to capitalize on the chance. At the 62nd minute a Hume turnover saw Avondale’s cross find Yusuf Ahmed’s head, but the effort went inches wide. At the 65th minute Avondale doubled their lead (2-0) after Dillon Jakupi’s ball into the box found Liam Boland, who slotted in Avondale’s second. At the 68th minute Liam Boland scored Avondale’s third (3-0) after lobbing Michael Weier, who couldn’t do anything but watch the ball roll into the net. At the 76th minute a freekick won by Matthew Lazarides and taken by Stevie Hewitt failed to trouble Avondale’s defence, as they cleared the danger. At the 83rd minute Ben Bowler’s ball into the box found George Howard who was brought down by an Avondale defender, but the referee waved play on.

The referee signaled the full-time whistle at 90+3 minutes which saw Avondale end their two-game drought. Hume City now have their sights set on Saturday the 20th of July, as they host South Melbourne FC at ABD Stadium for Round 22. Kick off will commence at 5:30pm.

Share Now

Related Post