NPL Round 20 Review: Hume City collect all 3 points against in-form Port Melbourne

Round 20 saw Hume City welcome an in-form Port Melbourne to ABD Stadium. The home side were certainly looking to bounce back after consecutive defeats to Bentleigh Greens and Dandenong City.

It was Danny Dixon’s brilliant cross into the box at the 13th minute that had Port’s defence troubled, but the home side failed to get a body behind the ball. At the 20th minute Matthew Lazarides and Stevie Hewitt’s combination play saw Hewitt deliver a dangerous ball towards George Howard, but Port’s last ditch defending saw the ball go out for a Hume corner. At the 21st minute Port managed to create their first chance which saw Sam Ford fire a shot from distance over the bar. At the 26th minute Hewitt’s ball over the top found an onside Matthew Lazarides, who fired an ambitious volley towards Majak Mawith. At the 30th minute Ben Bowler’s long ball towards the back post found George Howard, but his shot went over the bar. At the 37th minute it was the home side who broke the deadlock, after Stevie Hewitt’s freekick found Paul “Blocker” Wilson who fired a thunderous header to put the home side in front (1-0). Port Melbourne nearly retaliated at the 38th minute after Kamal Ibrahim managed to cut in and fire a shot from close distance, but Michael Weier parried the ball to safety. At the 39th minute Ben Bowler bulldozed his way through Port’s defence and his pass to Matthew Lazarides saw Lazarides’ volley take a deflection off a Port defender. The away side were awarded a dangerous freekick in the final moments of the first half, but the headed effort was off target.

The home side entered the halftime break leading 1-0 but the game was far from over, as Port Melbourne have clawed their way back into many games throughout the 2019 NPL campaign.

Hume nearly doubled their lead in the opening minute of the second half, after Matthew Lazarides’ ball to Stevie Hewitt saw Hewitt fire a goal bound shot at Majak Mawith. At the 47th minute Port Melbourne nearly equalized off a corner but it was Michael Weier’s reflex save that denied the away side. Port’s follow up corner saw Caio De Godoy fire a dangerous headed effort wide. At the 55th minute Danny Dixon’s long ball saw an alert Matthew Lazarides pounce on the loose ball and fire a dangerous shot that missed by inches. At the 58th minute a low freekick by Port failed to catch Michael Weier off guard, as the shot stopper dealt with the danger calmly. Port continue to throw a series of attacks at Hume and at the 63rd minute, Kamal Ibrahim managed a shot from close distance only for it to hit the side netting. At the 82nd minute Finn Beakhurt’s acrobatic attempt saw Michael Weier catch the shot mid-air.

The referee signalled full time at 90+4 minutes which saw a round of applause from the fans at ABD Stadium. Hume City now have their sights set on the Dockerty Cup semi final on Tuesday the 9th of July, as they take on Moreland Zebras at Jack Edwards Reserve. Kick off will begin at 7:30pm.

Share Now

Related Post