NPL Round 16 Review: Hume City continue brilliant form after 2-0 win against Altona Magic 

Round 16 saw Hume City welcome an in-form Altona Magic to ABD Stadium. The home side have been in excellent form, after accumulating 11 from a possible 15 points in their last 5 league games. Nick Hegarty named an unchanged starting 11 after his side drew 1-1 at Jack Edwards Reserve in Round 15, against Oakleigh Cannons.

It was the home side who created the first chance of the game, with Matthew Lazarides firing a snapshot volley off a Hume corner, but Magic’s defence blocked and cleared the shot.

At the 8th minute, Magic delivered a brilliant cross to the back post, but Lazarides was able to clear the danger for a Magic corner.

At the 14th minute, Hassan Jolloh was able to dribble and fire on goal, but the shot took a deflection off Paul Wilson into Michael Weier’s palms.

At the 17th minute, George Howard’s flick on header put James Brown through on goal, but Brown’s telegraphed shot forced Shane Vitakangas into a routine save.

At the 20th minute, Magic fired in a brilliant cross from the right wing but failed to find a target in the box.

At the 22nd minute, an interception by Gidi Sweet saw his pass to George Howard flicked on to an onrushing Matthew Lazarides, who decided to square the ball across to James Brown which earned Hume a corner.

At the 30th minute, it was Matthew Lazarides who continued to be a threat for the home side and his right foot shot saw Shane Vitakangas pull off a brilliant reflex save.

At the 38th minute, James Brown’s excellent footwork saw his shot force Shane Vitakangas into another reflex save.

At the 40th minute, Stevie Hewitt’s corner saw Ben Bowler’s headed effort fall to Matthew Lazarides, but the pace of the ball saw Lazarides head over the bar.

At the 45th minute, Magic’s interception saw Marino Gasparis fire from the edge of the box, but the shot failed to trouble Michael Weier.


At the 47th minute, Daniel Kuczynski’s shot was blocked by Harry Monaghan. However, Hume conceded a free kick on the follow up attempt. The resulting freekick by Magic saw the shot fall into Michael Weier’s palms.

Magic continued to increase their tempo and at the 50th minute, a cross into the box was cleared by Paul Wilson and the follow up shot by Michael Lee was blasted into the carpark.

GOAL! At the 60th minute, George Howard found speedster Matthew Lazarides who had enough time to assess his options before dinking the ball to Stevie Hewitt at the back post; putting Hume up 1-0.

At the 65th minute, the home side continued to build momentum and Stevie Hewitt’s brilliant footwork on the edge of the box saw Magic conceded a freekick in a dangerous spot. The resulting freekick by Hewitt was blasted into the wall.

At the 69th minute, Magic were awarded a freekick in a dangerous spot after Robert Stambolziev was fouled. The resulting freekick forced Michael Weier into a brilliant save, but the linesman had already flagged the Magic player offside.

At the 74th minute, some brilliant team play by Stevie Hewitt and Marko Delic saw Delic deliver a brilliant ball into the box, but the home side failed to get a body on the end of it.

GOAL! At the 88th minute, Gidi Sweet’s ball over the top saw Magic’s defence sleeping as Marko Delic pounced on the ball and fire past Shane Vitakangas to give Hume a 2-0 lead.

At the 90+4th minute, Theo Markelis dribbled from the left flank and fired a shot from distance, but it was blasted over the bar.

The referee signalled full time at 90+5 minutes and Hume City continue to impress this season. It’s a short break for the home side as they prepare for Round 7 of the FFA Cup on Tuesday the 11th of June and welcome Oakleigh Cannons to ABD Stadium. Kick off will commence at 7:30pm.

Share Now

Related Post