NPL Round 15 Review: Oakleigh Cannons and Hume City share a point apiece at Jack Edwards Reserve

Prior to Round 15’s clash at Jack Edwards Reserve, Hume City and Oakleigh Cannons have been in excellent form. Both sides have accumulated 7 out of a possible 9 points from their previous 3 fixtures.

It was the home side who created the first chance of the game, with Wade Dekker firing a shot from outside the box directly into Hume’s shot stopper Michael Weier.

Hume’s attempts on goal in the opening 20 minutes fell to Ben Bowler and James Brown, who both fired from outside the box but the shots failed to test John Honos.

At the 20th minute, Michael Weier was called into action after Harry White’s shot forced the Hume shot stopper into a routine save.

At the 24th minute, Hume nearly drew first blood as Oakleigh failed to clear James Brown’s cross which saw George Howard’s volley miss by inches.

At the 26th minute, Hume’s dominance throughout the first half was finally rewarded when Hamish Millar fouled James Brown inside the box, earning the away side a penalty. Stevie Hewitt stepped up and although John Honos guessed the right way, Hewitt’s spot-kick was too good and put the away side up 1-0 at the 27th minute.

At the 29th minute, Stevie Hewitt had enough time and space to turn and fire from distance, but the shot was blasted over the bar. At the 31st minute, Hume’s high tempo football saw James Brown dash down the right flank before trying to find Matthew Lazarides inside the box with a cross, but Oakleigh’s defence cleared the danger.

Hume City entered the halftime break knowing that the job wasn’t finished, as a 1-0 score line could change quite easily in the NPL.

It was Oakleigh who had a dream start to the second half and were able to equalize through Joe Guest at the 50th minute.

At the 54th minute, Hume City failed to capitalize on James Brown’s perfect cross to the back post from the left flank. Brown continued to look dangerous for the away side and at the 63rd minute, Oakleigh were dealt a lifeline as Brown’s goal bound shot was deflected on its way to goal, keeping the score line at 1-1.

At the 67th minute, Matthew Foschini’s curled attempt went wide after the ball fell to Foschini outside the box. Foschini then had an even better chance to put the home side up at the 76th minute, but it was Michael Weier’s heroics that kept Hume in the game.

At the 85th minute, Mark Ochieng saw his volley fall into the hands of John Honos after Oakleigh failed to clear Gidi Sweet’s cross properly.

At the 90th minute, it was Matthew Foschini who cut in from the left side, but his shot failed to hit the target.

Both sides tried to find a winner, but the referee signalled full time at 90+5 minutes which saw Oakleigh and Hume settle for a point apiece. Hume City now have their sights set on Saturday the 8th of June, as they welcome Altona Magic to ABD Stadium. Seniors kick off at 5:30pm followed by the Under 20’s game at 7:45pm.

Share Now

Related Post