Round 3 Review: Altona Magic and Hume City share the points, after an entertaining match

After a 1-0 win against Oakleigh Cannons last week, Hume City travel to Paisley Park to take on newly promoted Altona Magic, who are yet to register a win for their 2019 campaign.

Hume City continued their unbeaten start to the season, after holding out for a 1-0 win against Oakleigh Cannons last week. Hume City look a completely different side to previous seasons, after coach Nick Hegarty implementing a new philosophy in his team, accompanied by some new additions to the squad. Altona Magic are still yet to register a win in their 2019 NPL campaign, after losing 1-0 to Green Gully in Round 1 and coughing up a 3-2 lead against Melbourne Knights in Round 2, allowing Knights to steal the 3 points with a 4-3 win. 

Hume City began the opening minutes of the game with their high pressing game, and James Brown found himself in a 1 on 1 situation with Daniel Collison, only for Collison to parry the ball for a Hume City corner. At the 14th minute, Hume City cleared a Magic corner and a counter attack involving James Brown, Ersin Kaya and Steven Hewitt lead to Hume City taking the lead, after Hewitt found Brown at the back post and Brown slotting the ball in for his 3rd goal of the 2019 season. 

At the 17th minute, Magic had an excellent chance to score off a corner, only for Michael Weier’s fingertip save onto the crossbar to deny the home side from taking an early lead. Altona Magic certainly had their fair share of chances via corners, with Sam Mitchinson also having his shot hit the post. 

Hume City’s defence were resilient against Magic’s new look forward line, but at the 32nd the away side were dealt a low blow after an unmarked Michiel Hemmen equalized for Magic, slotting the ball calmly past Michael Weier. Hemmen almost had himself a second goal at the 35th minute, after some fancy footwork inside the box. It was Ersin Kaya who came to the away side’s rescue, with his moment of brilliance at the 39th minute put the away side up 2-1 after he lobbed effort leaving Collison with nothing to do except watch the ball go in. Hume City went into the break leading 2-1, courtesy to Brown and Kaya’s goals. 

It took a little while for either team to set the tempo in the second half, but a deflected shot by Harry Monaghan was the first real chance for either side at the 58th minute. Mitch Cooper found himself onside, after being put through on goal by Stevie Hewitt at the 75th minute, only for Collison to beat Cooper to the ball. Moments later in the 75th minute, it was Dusan Bosnjak who created something out of nothing for the home side, after turning inside the 18th yard box and firing past Weier to level the score at 2-2. The away side almost took the lead again at the 76th minute, with James Brown having a volleyed effort go over the bar. 

James McGarry had the chance to put the home side up after a cross into the box from Bosnjak, but McGarry’s effort was blasted over the bar. Bosnjak continued to look lively for the home side, after laying the ball off to Troy Ruthven who had a shot parried by Michael Weier. Hume City found themselves in a 1 on 1 situation at the 86th minute, but Steven Hewitt’s low shot was saved by Collison. At the 88th minute, some link up play between James Brown and Steven Hewitt found the fresh legs of substitute Matthew Lazarides who was onside and in the clear, only for Lazarides’ attempted chip on Collison going over the bar.

After the final whistle, as much as either team would have liked the 3 points, both teams had to settle for a point each after such an entertaining game. Hume City now have their sights set on Saturday the 9th of March, as they host 2018 NPL Champions Heidelberg United FC at ABD Stadium. Seniors kick off at 8pm, with the Under 20’s kicking off at 6pm. 

Share Now

Related Post